Monday, June 20, 2011

Rebates: Do's, Don'ts, and What to Do if Yours is Wrong

I received 2 rebate checks in the mail the other day, but I had also received the postcard pictured that stated that there was an error in one of my other rebates.

The thing about rebates is that the manufacturers set very specific rules and guidelines for each rebate that are tricky to follow. Sometimes I wonder if they are trying to get you so frustrated in filling them out that you either make a mistake or give up trying.

The first thing you need to do is check the dates required for the purchase (usually stated: between x/xx/xxxx and y/yy/yyyy). Next look at the specific item(s) allowed/required to be purchased to qualify for the rebate. Then read the directions as if they are "step-by-step" instructions: fill out the blah, blah, and the blah, blah; and mail this completed form and ORIGINAL cash register receipt WITH PURCHASE PRICE CIRCLED to: Name of Rebate, address, address, address 12345
by z/zz/zzzz (date). Sometimes the rebate even requests the original bar code from the packaging of the
item(s)

As soon as I make the purchase, I try to fill out the rebate that very day so as not to forget or misplace a receipt or bar code. When I fill out the rebate, I read the directions. Then I re-read them as I am circling the item(s) on the receipt. Then I, again, re-read the directions as I am copying the papers that I am sending in (never send off a rebate without copying every part). Lastly, I read the directions a final time as I put each part of the rebate into the envelope. Be sure to put a stamp on the envelope and, if asked for, include a SASE (Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope).

Mail your rebate off that very day or at least by the next day; never hold on to them. If a company is only paying a certain number of rebates, you want to be sure yours is one of those first few.

Now, back to the postcard I received from the rebate company. I had never gotten a card like this before. It stated that my rebate was rejected. I new that I had done everything that was asked of my on the form, but there was still a problem. I checked on the website listed on the card and then contacted them via a toll-free number given. I was very polite and explained my case. The operator was very understanding and looked up my rebate. He told me that the reason it was rejected was because my purchase was not within the dates required. I knew it HAD been, because my records showed that I had mailed it out on the 2nd day of the rebate and I always mail them the day after purchase.

As soon as he saw that my purchase was from Walgreens, the operator knew that there must have been an error in reading the coded date on the receipt. He resubmitted my rebate reassuring me by stating that he did not see any reason why it would not be accepted this time.

As tricky as rebates might seem to be, they can be a great experience when you follow the directions carefully and follow up on them in a positive manner when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment