Friday, May 27, 2011

The Deal Should Work, Will They Let It?

I have all my coupons, ads, lists, and scenario. My buggy's full. I'm waiting in line. . . Now it's my turn. What do you mean my coupon does not match my item? It's listed/pictured right here ON the coupon. I plea my case. . . I ask to speak with a manager. . . the manager interprets the policies differently from me. What do I do?

Has this ever happened to you? The best thing to do is to have copies of the store's current coupon policies onhand (these can be found on their various websites). This way you can pull them out and plea your case at a moment's notice. Many employees, even managers, are not trained on the ever changing policies of their own store's. This is where a lot of problems can occur.

Always be ready to debate your case, but be calm and courteous at the same time (this can be difficult when the person behind the counter is already upset about having to scan 1000 coupons). As the saying goes, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Don't get angry or upset; be okay with walking away from a deal if you have to. The worst thing you can do is make them want to watch your every move every time you enter their store.

Remember this:  Sometimes you win a battle, sometimes you don't. Sometimes things don't go the way they should, sometimes they go in ways they shouldn't. But the bottom line is that you do not give in at the start. If you simply point out the facts, you might see something you didn't see before and know that you were wrong or you might even teach an employee, maybe even the manager, about their own store's policies.

2 comments:

  1. You r so right! I always encourage the people n my couponing classes to first and foremost print a copy of the policies and keep them n their binders. I have hadhmore than one occasion where I had to laave a store without getting a deal because I couldn't prove my case on the spot. Also I recommend printing wal mart and targets ad match policy because its been my experience that I have to use that more than the coupon policy!
    Happy couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post friend! Don't forget to update those copies frequently. Some stores change their policies like underwear. Also, last time I looked for Target's price match policy it had been deleted. hmmm. There's a blogger buzz that they are also revamping their coupon policy. ugg, let's just hope it's similar to Walmart's.

    ReplyDelete